DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS & FINANCE
Every Mother Counts’ mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere. We educate the public about maternal health and invest in community-led programs to improve access to essential maternity care. We engage communities, thought leaders, and partners in efforts to achieve quality, respectful, and equitable maternity care for all.
Every Mother Counts is seeking to hire a Director of Operations & Finance to establish efficient processes and systems to support the implementation of strategic design and strategy during this critical scaling phase of the organization’s evolution. This position will be based in our NYC office and report directly to the Founder/CEO and work closely with the Board of Directors. The position may include moderate domestic and international travel.
- The Director of Operations & Finance will be responsible for all aspects of organizational operations, including human resources and finance. The Director will be expected to develop and manage staff of two functional areas, to facilitate cross-department collaboration, and to promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement. The Director will also be required to set EMC’s financial policy and direction, maintain the organization’s financial health, and oversee business planning and budgeting.
- The Director of Operations & Finance will work closely with the CEO, General Counsel, Board Chair, Treasurer of the Board, and Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee, with the support of EMC’s office manager, accounting firm, and outside payroll/HR account manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Team Leadership and Development
- Manage talent hiring – job descriptions, recruitment, interviewing and onboarding
- Manage staff development and retention, including establishing a system to monitor staff performance, objective setting, performance reviews and evaluation forms, and salary adjustmentsEnsure maintenance of best practices around people and maintain Employee Policies and Procedures Manual
- Oversee maintenance of personnel files for employees, organizational chart, employee handbooks and directories
- Oversee distribution of employee paid holiday calendar, paid time off, leaves of absence, and reporting of vacation tracking to accounting firm
- Track quarterly time allocation details and report to accounting firm
- Manage termination process for voluntary and involuntary terminations and conduct exit interviews when deemed appropriate
- Oversee assessment, management and mitigation of enterprise risk
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the organizational operations, including procurement of equipment, IT infrastructure, facilities, lease/constructions projects, negotiations with outside vendors.
Financial and Strategic Planning
- Provide financial oversight and recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation and revenue/expense analysis
- Work closely with CEO and Director of Strategy & Development on annual budgeting and fundraising in conjunction with the development strategy and in alignment with short/long-term financial planning and projections
- Work closely with Treasurer, Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee and CEO on the management of EMC’s balance sheet, including oversight of EMC’s investment assets
- Work with Board and General Counsel to ensure overall compliance and responsible risk management for all financial aspects of the organization
- Oversee budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with EMC’s annual and long-term strategic plans
- Work closely with Director of Grants Program to ensure strategic and coordinated distribution of grants and financial oversight/management of the grants portfolio
- Work with accountants to establish and maintain accounting and reporting systems
- Oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including reporting for the organization’s annual Impact Report
- Oversee the preparation and communication of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and EMC’s Board
- Oversee annual budgeting, and provide guidance for the implementation of budgets, monitor progress and provide quarterly reports to the Board
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; oversight on all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting.
- Oversee the annual audit, working closely with the General Counsel and Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee.
- Oversee the preparation and filing of Form 990, working closely with the General Counsel, Treasurer and Chair of the Audit and Finance Committee
- 8-10 years of experience overseeing organization-wide operations
- MBA, with a focus on Non-Profit Management preferred, or comparable combination of education and work experience
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational development and implementation
- Familiarity with applying Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI) frameworks and other non-profit best practices
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a manner consistent with the organization’s values, prioritizing respect, trust, empowerment, growth, transparency, creativity, agility, and excellence among our staff and with our communities
- Strong communications and leadership skills
- Experience leading, managing, mentoring and coaching a team
- Proficiency in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting
- Strong analytical skills and experience translating a strategic vision into an operational model
- High Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and strong ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment
- A track record of being highly dependable, utilizing sound judgment and responding well to adversity
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and committed to continuous improvement
- A passion for women’s health, social justice and international development is a plus
To apply, please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.