RESEARCH AND WRITING ASSOCIATE
To apply email email@example.com
Every Mother Counts is a non-profit dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere. Every Mother Counts informs, engages, and mobilizes new audiences to take actions and raise funds that support maternal health programs around the world. This position will report to the Director of Policy & Advocacy and work across departments with the Public Education & Impact and Communications, teams, as well as the Development team.
The Research and Writing Associate will play a key role contributing to the development of materials that effectively inform and educate diverse audiences about the organization’s work in policy, advocacy, and grant-making. S/he will perform variety of responsibilities, including research, analysis, synthesis and articulation of maternal health issue areas and programmatic activities, and the development of EMC’s policy, advocacy, and communications materials. The Research and Writing Associate’s work will cover both the international and domestic spheres and will both inform and communicate about EMC’s public outreach and education, policy, fundraising and grant-making efforts. This position serves as a critical link between the Programs & Impact and Communications teams, and will work to translate and amplify program activities into meaningful storytelling and public outreach opportunities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Research and Writing (80%)
- Develop key messages, fact sheets, and social media posts that reflect policy, advocacy, and grantee partners’ activities in order to make information accessible to a wider audience;
- Act as a liaison between the Communications team and grantee partners for data collection, reporting, storytelling, and communications;
- Prepare and refine program-related resources, including evergreen one-pagers and briefing books for trips;
- Translate stories from partners and programs to share with Every Mother Counts’ greater audience through various mediums, including blog posts, social media, impact reports, and public education campaigns;
- Maintain Every Mother Counts’ social media streams, creating and sharing mission-driven, accessible, and timely content;
- Develop tool-kits, key talking points, and other internal resources to contribute to use for publications, interviews, and events for EMC leadership; and
- Assist with developing grant proposals and reports for donors.
- Develop up-to-date data sets to support the work of the Communications team, including researching the maternal health landscape in the organization’s storytelling focus areas to support and lead messaging;
- Support the development of high-quality, evidence-based policy and issue area content, including presentations, reports, articles, issue briefs, and other formats; and
- Monitor and research on an ongoing basis the relevant maternal health and global health landscapes to inform messaging and programmatic priorities.
Programs / Monitoring and Evaluation (20%)
- Work closely with the Director of Grants Program to understand country context and grantee partner work in order to effectively communicate the work;
- Contribute to the tracking of functional team metrics, including investments across grantees and countries, in-kind donations made to grantees, and advocacy successes and milestones;
- Support the coordination of partner convenings and advocacy trainings;
- Research potential collaborators and partners working in maternal health in the global and domestic landscape; and
- Assist with developing and implementing a capacity-building plan for grantee program, including assisting with convening grantee partners and providing technical assistance.
Professional Experience & Qualifications:
- Masters of Public Health degree and at least 2 years of experience working in the non-profit sector, preferably in maternal or global health;
- Knowledge and/or interest in the field of international and domestic maternal health;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to communicate to diverse audiences;
- Strong research skills;
- Demonstrated experience and high level of competency in managing social media platforms;
- Ability to support a fast-paced and collaborative team with accountability and efficiency;
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive, with a focus on excellence in a high energy, fast moving, deadline orientated environment;
- Strong project management, coordination, time management, and organizing skills;
- Acute attention to detail and a track record of consistently delivering quality work;
- Communicates about plans and decisions with openness and honesty with team members and others;
- A team player who engenders trust and confidence, with an ability to interact positively with all members of the staff;
- Must have the ability to work independently and in a team setting; and
- Passion for and demonstrated commitment to maternal and reproductive health.
- Spanish and/or Haitian Creole language skills a plus.
TO APPLY EMAIL INFO@EVERYMOTHERCOUNTS.ORG